Thursday, July 10, 2008

Bookmark this page!







K - licious...

I got so excited when I read your double take and double trouble posts... I really love this twin-duo's work, and what a connection between contemporary arts and the history of perspective. Funny that you mention stereoscopes, I just showed my little "collection" of 3 stereoscopes from the late 1800's to my class this week. - Without the viewing device, but that's ok. I always compare it to a historical version of those Disney ViewFinders. I went to their website and their other work really reminded me of Tobias Putrih, whom I love. See his above image for the correlation and the connection to my most recent check off the list, and edition of 100 bookmarks.

Funny thing.. I think I am getting a little less neurotic - a few years ago I would have made these 100 little guys in about 2 nights. Cutting and hand-punching these bookmarks took forever! The good thing was that it felt good to make a lot of something small. I am still drawn to editions of tiny things.. there is something about the mystery of them, and the ritual of production. (Tell that to your contemporary class!) When I signed up for making these bookmarks, I wasn't really sure what I would end up doing.. I finally decided on the idea of "devouring a book." It's summertime and I have been devouring books on the couch and on the beach, and I like this simple metaphor. Plus, I have been dealing with Florida monster bugs, and like this idea of " slightly munching." Ideas of stiching back up these holes were on the table, then I thought better of it considering the size of the edition. Maybe this munching will turn into another project.

See other Bookmarks projects here

Check out the Centre for Fine Print Research at Bristol here

I'm off to our old stomping grounds for the weekend.. where our K and K adventures began!

Love,
K.

No comments: