Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Silly CONSUMErism



Dearest K, 

In an effort to be a little lighter today, I'm making a quick post about an artist I have been looking for for a few weeks. Kate Bingaman-Burt is runs Obsessive Consumption (along with about a million other projects) and makes sweet yet sassy drawings of everything she buys. This gal is diligent about documenting her purchases. I'm drawn to the immense voyeurism of looking at what another artist/gal our age/fellow art professor spends her money on, and of course compare my own purchases to hers. Would I have bought those sunglasses for $4.99, a deal... but do I NEED them? Would I spend $20 on a hair product even if it meant I had to eat peanut butter and jelly for the next week? There is something dually neurotic and pleasant about these playful drawings. First - they look fun to make, an extra bonus that they point out what a consumerist people we have become. 

As you know, I'm in financial squeeze-down while waiting to hear about our house purchase. You know how many people have brought up that they had to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the first year after they bought their respective homes? - This is comforting to know, yet at the same time - can we really afford it if we have to make sacrifices?

Consumerism seems to be less and less about sacrifices. Its about needs. And instant gratification. I know, I just bought a new pair of shoes.... they made me feel good... for about a day. 

Save, save, save,
K.

No comments: