Thursday, March 5, 2009

Munching, crunching, bunching, scrunching


Dear K, 

Hope you are great... awesome blogging lately. Wanted to do one more post - despite my absolutely insane week - before me and "the hubster" leave for a belated Belize honeymoon. Truthfully, I'm really looking forward to being off the grid for awhile. I don't always like being so connected, so 3-seconds away from being able to Google anything I want. We've been talking so much about connections and participatory acts that I wanted to share the work of my lovely friend Adrienne Turk. Above are her images - small little glue butterflies that incorporate hair and sewn thread. They are absolutely exquisite in person. 

We are applying for do to a collaborative installation with my "munchings" as I call them. (Remember the bookmarks?) Hopefully, we will get in. The piece will be the documentation of the remnants of life - whether animal, human or fantastical creature, something has been here and consumed. I'm really into this idea lately - and these acts of binding, munching, crunching made A and I remember this famous Sol Lewitt quote that I love. He wrote this to Eva Hesse who was apparently under some sort of artist block. 

"Just stop thinking, worrying, looking over your shoulder wondering, doubting, fearing, hurting, hoping for some easy way out, struggling, grasping, confusing, itching, scratching, mumbling, bumbling, grumbling, humbling, stumbling, numbling, rumbling, gambling, tumbling, scumbling, scrambling, hitching, hatching, bitching, moaning, groaning, honing, boning, horse-shitting, hair-splitting, nit-picking, piss-trickling, nose sticking, ass-gouging, eyeball poking, finger poking, alleyway sneaking, long waiting, small stepping, evil eyeing, back scratching, searching, perching, besmirching, grinding, grinding, grinding away at yourself. Stop it and just DO!"

Whoop! What's not to love about Sol Lewitt? Wall drawings and tough love... my kind of guy. 

Ok, well.. I'm so happy we are just doing. Here's to a break off of the grid.. and to all of our recent "doings" and connections. 

Love you with crazy cheeks, 
K.


No comments: