Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Piggy-backing...

K,
...on my last post as an excuse to share some student work, I wanted to write a bit about the tedium of doing things by hand and the aesthetic of designer Stefan Stagmeister.

I finally watched Helvetica (really great!), and was reminded of the work of Stefan Stagmeister, who is featured as a leader in postmodern design. I did a little research afterwards, and found his aesthetic very much in line with D.I.Y. craft art and the performative. His work is a perfect blurring of the worlds of design and art. Pictured above is an example of his text work. There is more here: http://www.sagmeister.com/worknew5.html

He also collaborated with designer/illustrator Jessica Hische, on a temporary public installation (pictured below) made entirely of pennies. I thought I might talk about this project in our collaboration class, because it involves all the elements of making that I am so interested in: collaboration, performance, public space and participation, impermenance, and documentation. It reminds me again of those Buddhist mandala sand paintings--beautiful, impressive in it's time consumption, and ephemeral (the pennies were left for the public to take away). You can see time-lapse video of the project here: http://designrehab.blogspot.com/2009/03/sagmeister-x-hische.html So...in my Intro to Design class, we are preoccupied with busyness. Without access to computers, Adobe programs, etc., we are learning design principles all by hand. I forgot how precise and annoying it can be to draw everything out, measure, cut, mount. With each project, I do an example alongside. My appreciation for the fast and simple, cut and paste, color fill, edit, manipulate, copy of Photoshop grows daily. We recently, though, completed a couple projects that I am proud of, using our hands first, then capturing digitally (the same process I'm working with for my own work). Below is our text animation. Not intentionally, yet sort of in the vein of Sagmeister, we built type out of found objects and material around the house. In stop-motion style, I captured all the imagery with my camera and compiled in AfterEffects. It was a great success in that everyone was into the process and together we generated some cool ideas. We illustrated the school's mission statement:

We also hand-drew a pattern swatch to repeat and print out like wrapping paper. Here are a few results:

This is my sample--a pattern of moustaches. Maybe I can paper my kitchen with this. ;)

Gotta get back to work. Miss ya!

k

No comments: