Saturday, March 8, 2008

Jeff Wall: "Quiet Color"


Jeff Wall
A Sudden Gust of Wind (after Hokusai)
1993
© Jeff Wall

Dear K,

I checked my mailbox today and received a copy of my newest article in “Afterimage: A Journal of Media Arts Criticism.” After all these years of writing, it still exhilarates me to see my name in print. (and spelled right!) When I visited you in August, we went to see the Jeff Wall retrospective at the Art Institute, remember? Here is an excerpt from my published review, "Quiet Color":

“Colors of Jeff Wall’s backlit works burst with energy - projecting reds and greens of an unearthly palette. As a forerunner in the contemporary narrative and conceptual photography trend, Wall uses color and lighting as singular units of character in each piece he creates. Light emulates life, and in turn, has a lifelike quality that breathes global commonality. While most viewers capture these quiet moments in their heads, Wall increases the saturation of the colors, bringing out a memory of a particular red balloon, a particular field that seemed greener than any other field. It is as if he captures the sense of heightening that we experience when we are in love. With our senses at their maximum, viewers are sensitive to touch, sight, and sound, leaving this exhibition visually exhausted and exhilarated.”

See more about the exhibition here:
http://www.artic.edu/aic/exhibitions/jeff_wall/overview.html

The exhibit continues to travel, if anyone has a chance to see it, I would highly recommend it. It’s definitely worth the trip.

Love,
K.

No comments: